What is Magnesium?
Magnesium is an essential mineral required by every cell in the body and is involved in over 300 enzymatic processes vital for life.
What does Magnesium do?
Magnesium plays important roles in:
- energy production and metabolism
- keeping your nervous and cardiovascular system healthy
- mood and memory
- immune function
- balancing hormones
- building strong bones and teeth by activating vitamin D in the body, which in turn stimulates the absorption of calcium
- aids the absorption and metabolism of other minerals and vitamins
Symptoms of Magnesium deficiency:
- tiredness or fatigue, trouble sleeping or insomnia
- headaches or migraines
- muscle aches, pains or weakness, restless legs
- PMS symptoms
- anxiety, depression, low mood, poor memory
What foods contain Magnesium?
- Leafy greens like spinach and kale
- Cruciferous vegetables including broccoli and cabbage
- Legumes such as lentils, chickpeas and peas
- Nuts, especially almonds, cashews and Brazil nuts
- Seeds, especially pumpkin seeds
- Fruit like avocados and bananas
- Oily fish such as salmon and mackerel
Are we getting enough Magnesium?
- Stress, caffeine and alcohol depletes magnesium in the body, meaning less is available for vital bodily functions
- It’s also thought that our food contains less magnesium than in previous years due to the processing of food and modern, intensive farming practices which have depleted it from the soil
Magnesium supplementation has been researched for the following health conditions:
You can also soak in a warm bath with Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate) or magnesium chloride flakes, available at health food shops.
What are the best types of Magnesium supplements?
There are many types of magnesium supplements, here are our favourites:
- Magnesium glycinate - calming, thought to be the best absorbed type
- Magnesium malate - for pain and mitochondria
- Magnesium taurate - calming
- Magnesium citrate - often used for easing constipation as it may act as a natural laxative
Because of its relaxing effects, people often take Magnesium supplements at night.
If you would like to get your vitamins and minerals tested, book an appointment or call 0203 303 0326.